Wednesday, February 15, 2012

First Pitch Right Around the Corner...

Senior Greg Blohowiak and redshirt freshman Michael Porcaro, members of the Milwaukee baseball team, will be blogging all season long on the UWM website.

Blohowiak is back for his third season of blogging, while Porcaro gets his first go at it. Today is their first entry for the 2012 season.


***********************************************

What up Panther Nation? My name is Mike Porcaro (Paco) and I will be replacing the legendary Sam Sivilotti on the blog this year. I am a redshirt freshman and play second base. I look forward to writing these blogs with Blow as we share the team’s journey in pursuit of a Horizon League Championship.

Last year, being a redshirt I obviously didn’t pick up any game experience, but at the same time I learned a ton about the game of baseball. Being at second base, I was around Cole Kraft all the time. I just tried to be a sponge when I was around him. I tried to soak up as much information from him as I could because he had been around for four years and experienced basically everything.

Cole and the rest of that senior class deserve a lot of credit. We had a really young team last year but they taught the young guys how to go about their business. They weren’t just great players they were great leaders. They might be off the roster this year but the lessons they taught us will live on.

As far as this year goes, we are still a pretty young team on paper. At the same time, we have a lot of talent. The coaches know it, we know it and now it’s time for college baseball to know it. We are just going to have to play good team baseball and execute. Things might not go our way at times because that’s just how baseball is but our mentality has got to be strong. Coach Doffek always stresses to us how important our mentality is going to be. When the going gets tough you got to have mental toughness.

Couple more things before I head out. Thanks to everyone who came out this past Sunday to our Bowling Event. It was another successful event! Thanks to all the sponsors for their support! Big thanks to our Director of Baseball Operations, Steve Sanfilippo, who put on the event and all the other hard work he does behind the scenes.

If you follow us on Twitter, thank you, if you don’t, hit the follow button @UWM_Baseball.

Later Panther Nation!


Shimmy Shimmy yeaaaaaaa!!

Holy moly did that year fly by! I welcome you all back to the Diamond Chronicles and hope that this year we can both entertain and educate. I want to first thank SID Chris Zills for allowing Paco and myself (Blow) continue this. Even with his reserves about it he allowed us to throw words at the community. Secondly, I welcome Paco with open arms to this experience because I think he will offer some great insight as well as some excitement only the youth (himself) can infer.

We are literally three days away from playing our first game of the 2012 season. We travel to East Carolina to play a three-game set against a team who is a perennial contender and 40-game winner a year ago. Our offseason went very well IMO, with our youth taking a step forward as well as our veterans honing their own skills. I truly believe that this year is unlike any of the other three that I have experienced leading up to a season. Our team is showing an extreme hunger to succeed, ambition, and hard work. I’m not saying the previous teams haven’t shown that but I am sensing a lot of it a lot of the time. Maybe this is because we’re so young and the unknown is invigorating, or that the dynamic of the team is that much different this year. Exciting, I know!

This is my final year of baseball here at UWM and with that thought brings a mixed bag of emotions. Excited, sad, happy, relieved, mad, but the number one emotion is calm. I am calm to the thought that this is my last year. There’s nothing I can do about aging, but there is something I can do about dealing with it. This year I am going to be as calm as a cucumber, ignoring the countdowns to the final home game, final road game, my last conference tournament, whatever it is. The team is my main focus and I want to be apart of an experience that is like no other and I want to be here to share it with you all along the way. Thanks for reading and I look forward to blogging with Paco the duration of the season!

Quick thoughts from Blow ... the Packers really really really really put me into a deep depressive state for about three hours after that game ... The "Dan Patrick Show" on FSN from 9-11 is quality, please watch it, none of this Skip Bayless stuff ... Sizzling sevens ... the most prevalent topic of conversation this year on our team will be “Finding Bigfoot” aka We’re going Squatchin’ in Ohio (Gunnar, Josh, Eric, Kaleb, and Cale know all about that) ... Please please please watch Breaking Bad and Mad Men ... amazing shows ... our newcomers are all quality players and even better guys ... Happy Valentines day! ... Peace out

follow me @gbloho15 <--------------------- do it!!

1 comment: